In 1941, the Defense Depot Ogden (DDO) was activated just before World War II. The DDO was initially a 1,139- acre military warehousing and distribution facility ran by the United States Army. The DDO was one of seven similar facilities located around the United States of America. The facility stored and distributed food, clothing, housed military installments for construction, medical, and industrial needs. During the war, the facility was also used as an internment camp for Italian and German prisoners of war. After the war, the facility became a storage and supply base for the military until 1997.
Photo obtained from the Utah State Historical Society
In 1997, the depot was closed due to the Base Realignment and Closure Act of 1995. Hill Air Force Base had taken over the facility's management, which was renamed to Defense Depot Hill Utah (DDHU). All the while, the City of Ogden began to research the future development of the DDHU. In 2003, after ten years and investing $250 million, the facility ownership was transferred between Ogden City and the Boyer Company, where the building became known as Business Depot Ogden (BDO). The former military installation transformed into a business and industrial park. Currently, there are over 130 businesses located at the BDO, with a total of 6,500 workers.
The BDO has been home to the Amer Sports warehouse since 2018. With over 51 brand store locations and sales organizations in 34 countries, as well as a growing e-commerce and trade customer distribution network, the Amer Sports portfolio includes internationally recognized sporting goods brands such as Salomon, Arc'teryx, Peak Performance, Atomic, Mavic, Suunto, Wilson, and Precor. Recently, Amer Sports chose Carbon Architects to design corporate and shipping offices within the warehouse space. Amer Sports renovation is scheduled for completion for the summer of 2020.